Thursday, August 1, 2013

If you're (not) happy and you (don't) know it

Whatever I do comes back to me.
If I don’t ask I won’t get.
Uselessness is gorgeous.

Beneficial things I learned from designer/artist Stefan Sagmeister’s The Happy Show, at the Chicago Cultural Center until September 23rd

If you are in Chicago and find a chance to go to this exhibit, you will simply not be disappointed, you won’t be happy either, that’s not what the exhibit promises, it is simply there to offer ideas about this concept that we all need yet eludes most of us. 

Initially I did experience some annoyance but this is natural to me.  At the entrance to the exhibit there is a button on the wall with text above telling the visitor to push the button, upon which a business card comes out of the wall. The cards say various things to help you start with the exhibition.  Mine said, “Close your eyes and have the person you are with take your hand and tell you about the next three exhibition pieces”.  At first I laughed, as walking around with your eyes closed is not an easy adventure, then I was annoyed at the fact that the artist would assume that people go to exhibitions in groups or pairs, and finally I got over my exaggeration and continued to view the next three pieces alone and with my eyes open. 

The exhibit is a collection of various maxims about happiness that the artist has learned, displayed through text, video, and sculpture. It is in fact a product of several years of personal reflection on happiness and also showcases the first minutes of Sagmeister's documentary film, The Happy Film which will be completed in late 2013.   There is even a chance to get some exercise on a bicycle as well as numerous occasions to laugh, cry and reflect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment